* BONUS FOR WHEN YOU SHOP AT CRICUT.COM: Use this code: GIFTFORYOU at checkout to receive 10% off your order of $50+ and receive FREE shipping too!Before enough with the talking, let's get to it, shall we.
What Comes with the Cricut Maker
So before we talk about the Cricut Maker Must-Haves, let's look first at what you will get in your box:
- Cricut Maker Machine
- Cricut Rotary Blade
- Cricut Fine Point Blade
- Cricut LightGrip Mat
- Cricut FabricGrip Mat
- Black Pen
- Samples – Fabric and Cardstock
Must-Have Cricut Maker Tools
Below you will find a list of the tools that you should purchase with your Cricut Maker. I will discuss what each tool will be used for.Obviously, have a think about which type of crafts you would like to make – so that you can only purchase the tools that will support your crafting type.
1. Cricut Maker Knife BladeYou will receive both the standard and the rotary Cricut cutting blades in your box. The rotary blade is used to cut fabric and the standard blade is for most ‘normal' materials that most people cut. You can read more about the Cricut Maker Blades here. Now, if you want to work with REALLY thick material, you will need to purchase the Cricut Knife Blade. This blade is an extra-deep blade that can slice through dense material that is up to 2.5 mm in thickness. It is perfect for cutting material such as balsa wood, matboard, and chipboard. Grab the Knife Blade with housing here.
2. Standard and StrongGrip Cricut MatsYou will receive the LightGrip and the FabricGrip mat in your box (read more about the Cricut mats here). If you wish to work with the knife blade to cut thicker material, you will need to purchase the StrongGrip Cricut Mat (which has a stronger adhesive to keep the materials in place). I also highly recommend that you purchase the StandardGrip mat, which you will use to cut standard material such as cardstock, vinyl etc. I can't live without this mat, you will use it for sure!!
3. Scoring Stylus and/or Scoring WheelsScoring is brilliant if you love creating things that need to be folded, such as cards, envelopes, boxes and other 3D paper crafts. The Scoring Stylus is a tool that you use by hand with a ruler to create your own gold lines, and the Scoring Wheels are like ‘blades' that you pop into your machine and the machine creates the lines for you. These are really handy to have in your stash as well. Grab the Scoring Stylus from here. Grab the Scoring Wheels here.
4. Cricut PensCricut pens are used to draw shapes and to embellish projects with beautiful text. You can also create coloring pages with pens as well, or use them to create beautiful cards. These pens are acid-free, non-toxic, and permanent after 24 hours of drying time. You will get the black pen with the box, so you might prefer to see if you use it before investing in more pens, but I do find that they are valuable to have in my stash, even though I don't use them for every project. If you want to work with fabric, I also suggest you grab one of the washable fabric pens as well. Cricut makes a great range of pens for the Cricut Maker Machines that include:
- Glitter Gel Pens in Opaque, Neon and Rainbow
- Watercolor Marker & Brush (for making watercolor effect designs)
- Metallic Pens
- Extra Fine Ink Pens
- Washable Fabric Pens
- Infusible Ink Pens
5. 12 x 24″ MatThe standard Cricut mat size is 12 x 12″, but this can be very limited to work with. I LOVE the longer 12 x 24″ Cricut Mat, so that I can create larger vinyl decals and cut larger sewing panels for my projects. Grab this beautiful large mat from Amazon here.
Must-Have Cricut Maker Accessories
Now that we have had a look at the best tools to buy for the Cricut Maker machine, let's look at some of the best Cricut Maker accessories.
1. Cricut TrimmerA Cricut Trimmer is really handy if you are a scrapbooker or cardmaker. You can quickly and professionally trim down your paper or cardstock on this fabulous trimmer. Grab your Cricut Trimmer here.
2. Cricut BrayerThe Cricut Brayer is essential if you plan are working with fabric. You will need to use a brayer to smooth out your fabric over your Fabric mat. Especially handy for the thin and flimsy materials. The tweezers are great to help you lift off the fabric from your mat. The pink mat only has a thin layer of adhesive, so you really have to be careful about touching your mat, and please don't scrape it either. You can grab the Brayer and Tweezer Set here.
3. Cricut Basic Tool SetThe Cricut Basic Tool Set is a must-have. You will definitely use these tools. The Scraper & Spatula are used to aid you in lifting projects off your Cricut mats, which helps to preserve the adhesive on your mat. They are definitely a necessity. The weeder and tweezers are great for your vinyl projects. And we all know what scissors are used for. You can grab the essentials tool set here. If you prefer you could purchase the weeder tool set (for vinyl projects) or the paper tool set (for scrapbookers and cardmakers) instead.
4. XL ScraperI love my XL Cricut Scraper. Whilst you can use it to clean up your mats, I love using mine when I'm applying adhesive vinyl. It just helps to ensure that the adhesive sticks really well to my product. Grab your Cricut XL Scraper here.
5. Cricut Sewing Tool KitThe Cricut Sewing Kit is a great companion tool kit if you plan on cutting fabric with your machine. It includes 8″ Fabric Shears, Thread Snips, Seam Ripper, A Cricut Maker Pin Cushion, Set of Pins, Measuring Tape and a Leather Thimble. Grab your Sewing Kit here.
6. EasyPress 2Planning on working with iron-on transfers or HTV (heat transfer vinyl)? An iron can be very unreliable because you have to guess how hot it is, as well as guess how long you are applying it for. Take the guesswork out and get an EasyPress 2 instead. You can set the temperature and set the timer electronically. I love my EasyPress. Grab your EasyPress 2 here. Not sure which size to get? Here is a helpful post about which Cricut Easypress 2 size to buy.
7. Cricut BrightpadThe Cricut BrightPad is a fabulous tool for those who plan on working with vinyl on a regular basis. Pop your vinyl on the light surface and it will make your cut lines show up so much clearer, which means that you can weed and remove vinyl pieces so much quicker. Super handy! Grab your Cricut BrightPad here.
Must-Have Cricut Supplies for the Maker
Now, you might have just purchased all the Cricut Maker tools and accessories that you will need, but what about the actual supplies that you will need to purchase.Here is a list of some of my favorite crafting supplies: