Looking for really easy Halloween crafts to make with your toddler or young child?
These DIY Halloween Ghost Leaves are super easy and perfect for kids aged 2-5 years old.
What makes it even better is that they are made from Maple Leaves, so it is a great excuse to get out in nature and go leaf hunting as well. (But don't worry we have included a link to a FREE maple leaf SVG file for those who don't have easy access to maple leaves!)
You can find the full Halloween leaf ghosts tutorial below as well as some ideas on what you can do with the ghosts once your child has created them.
DIY Halloween Ghost Leaves – Step-By-Step Tutorial
Find below the supply list as well as the step-by-step tutorial to show you how you can create these scary ghosts with your child. Keep reading as we also share some ideas of what you can do with your ghosts once they are created.
- White Paint
- Paint Brush
- Black Sharpie Markie
- Maple Leaves
- Alternative Idea to Leaves: FREE Maple Leaf SVG File + an Electronic Die Cutting Machine
How to Make Maple Leaf Halloween Ghosts:
Step 1: Take your child for a lovely walk outside. Collect some beautiful maple leaves for your activity.
If you don't have access to maple leaves, I have a solution! But for the solution, you will need to have an electric die cutting machine such as Cricut Maker 3.
Simply download this FREE Maple Leaf SVG file, which is available from One Creative Mommy.
Upload the file to your software and use an electronic die cutting machine to cut it out on some cardstock.
Step 2: Let's get messy! Get your child to paint the whole leaf in white paint.
You might need multiple layers to completely cover the leaf (depending on your paint type), so best to have a hairdryer on hand to speed up the drying process.
Step 3: Once the white paint is dry, add two black eyes and a mouth with the black sharpie pen.
Step 4: Use the scissors and trim off the stem. And you have some scary Halloween ghosts!
Ideas of what to do with the ghosts:
Wondering what to do with your child's collection of Halloween ghosts? Here are some quick ideas for you:
- Stick them on your windows to create a lovely scary atmosphere.
- Cut a long piece of string. Using some miniature wooden clothes pegs and peg your ghosts along the string. Next, hang the strong across an entrance way or doorway for a nice effect.
- Attach a long piece of fishing string from the head of each of the ghosts. Create a flying ghost effect by attaching the fishing string from the roof. It will look like the little ghosts are flying around in the sky!
- Attach one ghost to some black cardstock. Create a card for friends and family.
- Purchase some lollipops to hand out on Halloween night. Attach one ghost to the lollipop stick. Now you have scary lollipops – perfect!
We hope you had loads of fun creating these scary maple-leaf ghosts with your child. We would love to hear your ideas of how you used them, so please share your thoughts in the comments below.