Not sure which Silhouette Machine to buy?
Fortunately these two machines have very different features, so by the end of this comparison, you should know exactly what the difference between the Silhouette Cameo 3 vs Curio is.
Silhouette Curio vs Cameo 3 Comparison Chart
Below you will find a super handy Silhouette Cameo vs Curio comparison chart.
The chart is great for a visual representation of the difference between the Curio and Cameo 3 cutters.
SILHOUETTE CAMEO 3
Cut and Draw
Emboss and Deboss
12" x 10'
8.5" x 6"
8.5" x 12" (with large tray purchase)
Summary of Main Difference between the Silhouette Cameo 3 and Curio
The main difference between the Cameo 3 and Curio is that the Silhouette Curio is more versatile, in that it can cut, score, emboss, deboss, etch and stipple.
However, the Curio has a much smaller cutting surface of 8.5" by 12", compared to the Cameo 3, which has a decent cutting surface of 12" wide and up to 10 feet long.
Keep reading the rest of the post to find more in-depth information and videos to help you decide which machine is the right one for you!
Silhouette Curio Overview
With this nifty machine you can enjoy crafting a wide range of Curio Projects.
This cutter does not only have the ability to cut and draw, but it can also emboss, deboss, score, sketch, stipple, and etch. Pretty impressive huh!?
Whilst the machine sounds too good to be true, it does come with its limitations though.
Where the Curio is more versatile than the Cameo Vinyl Cutter, it offers a much smaller cutting size.
The Curio has an 8.5 inch by 12-inch cutting surface, compared to the vinyl cutter Cameo 3, which is capable of cutting 12 inches wide and up to 10 feet long.
Below you will find a quick Silhouette Curio Video to outline all of the positive features of the machine.
The Curio Vinyl Cutter has been designed to be a companion machine to your favorite vinyl cutter, rather than a stand-alone cutter.
The machine has many features, but if you are only really after a machine that can cut paper, cardstock, vinyl etc. we suggest you look towards the Cameo 3.
Silhouette Cameo 3 Overview
The Cameo Silhouette 3 is one of the top selling vinyl cutters on the market in 2019. What makes this machine so popular?
In comparison to the Curio Plotter, the Cameo 3 is more focused on being brilliant at cutting and drawing.
It has the ability to work with over 100+ material and will deliver precise and intricate cutting of designs.
The Silhouette Cameo 3 features a much larger cutting size (12" x 10 feet) and has the very intuitive autoblade which auto-adjusts its blade depth to the material to be cut.
I really feel that the Cameo 3 is the best vinyl cutter for the money.
Below is a quick Silhouette Cameo 3 video to showcase its most prominent features.
I also love the new range of colors that the Silhouette Cameo 3 has been released in - I mean, we all know that 'looks' matter right!?
Both the Curio Plotter and the Cameo 3 has the ability to do two jobs at once, thanks to the dual carriage. They also both use the PixScan software.
>>> READ OUR FULL CAMEO SILHOUETTE 3 REVIEW
>>> GRAB THE BEST CAMEO 3 BUNDLE DEAL
What can the Curio Cutter do that the Cameo 3 machine can’t?
Let's take a closer look at the Curio Silhouette vs Cameo 3.
The Curio can tackle a large variety of gorgeous Silhouette Curio projects.
More specifically the Curio has the following unique features:
- Stipple Metal and Foil
- Etch Metal
- Emboss and Deboss
- Can work with much thicker materials (up to 5mm thick in comparison to Cameo's 2mm)
What can the Cameo 3 do that the Curio machine can’t?
The Silhouette Cameo Version 3 has its own set of brilliant features and these include:
- Bluetooth Technology
- Ability to use the machine without a computer
- Larger cutting surface (12" x 10 foot) in comparison to Curio's tiny 8.5" x 6" (which you can extend to 8.5" x 12" if you purchase the silhouette curio large base set)
- Autoblade Feature - the autoblade will auto-adjust its cutting to the depth of the material you are using.
Curio vs Cameo 3 Comparison Video
Here is a great video showcasing how the Silhouette Curio Cutting Tool stacks up against the Cameo 3 Silhouette.
The video clearly outlines the difference between the Silhouette Curio vs Silhouette Cameo 3 Vinyl Cutter.
Which one is the one for you?
Have you managed to figure out which one is for you? Let's break it down further to see whether the Curio Silhouette or Cameo is for you.
Do you need a machine that can emboss, deboss, etch, stipple as well as draw and cut?
- The Curio has a lot more functions on offer, but the compromise is that your working space is pretty small.
Do you need a machine that has a decent cutting size on offer?
- The Cameo 3 is perfect for those who wish to work on larger cutting surfaces. It is a popular machine for scrapbookers as well as sign-makers and T shirt transfer businesses.
Do you want to have your machine away from your computer and out of the way?
- The Cameo 3 has bluetooth which means it can talk to your computer wirelessly.
Do you want the cheapest machine?
- The Curio is slightly older, being released a year before the Cameo 3, and therefore comes at a cheaper price.
If you have a great vinyl cutter and you want to add the versatility of adding embossing, etching and stippling features to your projects, then we suggest you purchase the Curio.
If you have some money to invest, you could also look at getting the perfect combination of both machines together!
And once you have purchased your machine, you might like to check out our list of free SVG files for silhouette available for download.
Over to You
- Which one will you buy? The Silhouette Cameo or Curio?
- Do you think the Silhouette Curio Digital Crafting Machine is worth the money?
- Which machine do you think won the great Cameo Curio battle-off?
- Can you add any more helpful info for our readers to help you decide between the Silhouette Cameo 3 vs Silhouette Curio